We all want a very clean floor surface. To achieve this, we use some commercial cleaners sold in the market or we hire some service companies like the Reno professional cleaning service. There is no danger in the latter especially when you work 8-hours a day and do not have the luxury of time to spend it on cleaning every weekend. But there is a problem when you choose to do it yourself but still end up using ineffective and harmful cleaning chemicals sold cheaply in the market.
Why not use commercial products?
Commercial products contribute to indoor pollution, which can be harmful to family members who have asthma, allergy, or another respiratory sickness. Most companies do not disclose the ingredients they use in their formula so there is no telling if whether or not they use VOCs or volatile organic compounds that can damage your body, leading to cancer.
Other products contain ingredients that have a D-F rating from the EWG or Environmental Working Group. The ingredients are the following:
Most of these chemicals are known to induce environmental and health issues and very inorganic.
DIY FLOOR CLEANER RECIPE
What the ingredients do
- White Vinegar – white vinegar serves as a mild disinfectant, and is effective in degreasing. It is not too acidic, and therefore safe for stone surfaces like marble and granite.
- Liquid Dish Soap – it effectively dissolves the bond between the floor and the dirt, and is also effective in cleaning and degreasing like the vinegar. Do not use some that may have antibacterial ingredients, oxygen bleach, or those which have moisturizers.
- Essential Oils – if you have children that have a sensitive nose and they react to vinegar and alcohol you can opt to using essential oils available in the Amazon.
- Rubbing Alcohol – is effective in disinfecting and degreasing. Its one unique quality is that it speeds up evaporation to prevent streaks.
- Water – acts as the solvent
- 5-10 drops essential oils (optional)
- 1/4 cup isopropyl (70%) rubbing alcohol
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp liquid dish soap (See notes)
- 2 cups warm water
When using a bucket
The scale and the size of the ingredients in your formula depend on the size of your bucket. A one gallon-sized bucket can hold up to 128 ounces.
When using a spray bottle
Add all the ingredients mentioned above and gently swirl to mix the ingredients. Spray before wiping with a mop. This is best used for touch-up mopping.
You do not need to rinse the floor after you put the formula, and let the surface dry before touching or walking on them. Make sure to practice proper storage of the mixture you made after the cleaning session.
While commercial cleaning mixtures and solutions may be a bit effective in removing the stains on your floor, they can also be harmful to anyone in the family. To avoid unnecessary harm, it is best to choose natural ingredients for cleaning. This way, you have a safe cleaning solution at a very cheap price.